Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flexibility is the Key


Yesterday was a Field Trip Day for Silas and me.  We planned to visit The Shedd Aquarium with my friend Ellie and her kids, since it was a free day.  Wow!  The entire city of Chicago must have had the same idea!  The line to get in had to be a mile long....okay, maybe a quarter of a mile long, but still way too long for us!  So, we decided to check out the Adler Planetarium instead.

Great idea!  Silas and I had never been there before, so it was all new to us.  Our passes (which included all the exhibits and 2 movies) were $26 each.  That was a little steep, but at the end of the day I discovered that I could by a year-long family pass and they would subtract the fees I paid for that day's passes.  So, by spending an additional $40, I purchased the family pass which is good for 2 adults and up to 6 children.  Awesome!  I can't wait to take the rest of the family back.


At first, I was disappointed to not be going to The Shedd Aquarium, but the day turned out great!  We took the train and walked about 15-20 minutes to the Planetarium.  Silas absolutely loved it!  He learned so much about our solar system.  When we got home, he looked up the Apollo 13 movie on NetFlix so he could learn more about the space mission that nearly turned into a tragedy.  This is what homeschooling is all about....learning things that we are truly interested in!  He also bought a Dover coloring book on weather that he has been working in all day long.  I'm so thankful for the freedom to learn in our own way!





No comments:

Post a Comment